• Melatonin = Depression (I confirmed it Guys)

Home Forums Chemically Correct Neuroscience/Nootropics Melatonin = Depression (I confirmed it Guys)

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  spytech 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
    • Author

spytech

Anonymous

Well I think the melatonin lingers in your system thereby disrupting normal waking activation. I noticed so called “depression” from time released preparations.

Sub7 do other stims also keep you awake at night?

spytech

[QUOTE=foodman;676416]Well I think the melatonin lingers in your system thereby disrupting normal waking activation. I noticed so called “depression” from time released preparations.

Sub7 do other stims also keep you awake at night?[/QUOTE]

That is definitely an option and I have recently read a recommendation to take melatonin either at sunset or at least several hours before going to bed

As far as your question: yes definitely. I am stim sensitive and will surely stay awake if I take a stim after mid-day

spytech

[QUOTE=Zomar;675867]…, unless you have extreme low serotinin or extreme high dopamine to adrenaline conversion then you may need a clearer path way to interpret this problem.[/QUOTE]

Zomar,
      Even though I had started this thread, I couldn’t continue coming back here regularly and only recently realized the multitude of responses this thread has gotten.
      2 questions please
      1-Can you elaborate how exactly Melatonin may depress mood? So far I am yet to locate a good theory on that
      2-I may fall into the category you describe above (high dopamine to adrenaline conversion). Anything drastic I can do so I can still continue to enjoy the many benefits of melatonin? How about a good dose of selegeline? Normally I love selegeline but even if taken at low doses (1.5 mg) in the morning, it gives me insomnia. Maybe combining the selegeline and melatonin can be a solution, with one negating the insomnia caused by the other and on the other side one reducing or eliminating the mood depression caused by the other
      What do you think?

MSavery

I agree, melatonin have this side effect besides lowering your testis output (semen, T production)
      What covers this side effect is the vivid dreaming OR long sleep session

I would say, taking 5HTP WITH Trytphoan, Magnesium , B6 may be a partial solution, unless you have extreme low serotinin or extreme high dopamine to adrenaline conversion then you may need a clearer path way to interpret this problem.

MSavery

I agree, melatonin have this side effect besides lowering your testis output (semen, T production)
      What covers this side effect is the vivid dreaming OR long sleep session

I would say, taking 5HTP WITH Trytphoan, Magnesium , B6 may be a partial solution, unless you have extreme low serotinin or extreme high dopamine to adrenaline conversion then you may need a clearer path way to interpret this problem.

Anonymous

I have been taking 30mg Cymbalta for depressive issues for nearly a decade. I also do hrt (testosterone and progestrone…I don’t miss my estrogen but I work out nearly daily and intend to maintain my muscle and figure :-) as long as possible). I have had trouble falling asleep since childhood and about 10 days ago started melatonin. Beginning with the very first night I experienced very vivid, troubling supernatural themed dreams that continued nightly. My depression immediately worsened, significantly, with waves of hopelessness washing over me all day long, I was exhausted every waking hour, my heart began skipping and I lost all motivation. Tonight will be the first night I am skipping the melatonin since I started a week and a half ago. It was only today that I suspected there is a connection between the melatonin and the abrupt changes in my physiology. And in my Google search for others with similar symptoms, I found this forum. Good to know I’m not going nuts. Yet.

Anonymous

My personal choice for sleep-inducing reading is Chapman’s Piloting and Seamanship.

timlathay123

I can also confirm that Melatonin has a noticable pro-depressive effect on me. I did however use about 5mg (occassionally) at night which as far as I know is a rather large dosage.

Anonymous

[QUOTE=RobM;675740]I can also confirm that Melatonin has a noticable pro-depressive effect on me. I did however use about 5mg (occassionally) at night which as far as I know is a rather large dosage.[/QUOTE]

I didn’t take the Melatonin last night and, although I had trouble falling asleep, I feel great today. Back to my usual hyperactive self, a trait I embrace. I run a small company and with so many things pulling me in so many directions, I don’t have time to curl up in a ball. Nor do I want to. I just wish the correlation had occurred to me last week before I got behind on things.

Anonymous

I had some pretty bad depression from Melatonin a week ago.

I’ve had some low level depression in the past, and horrible insomnia problems (among other things). I didn’t really want to take the Ambien my Dr. prescribed till I have my Appointment with Dr. Mariano next month, so I figured I’d just take melotonin for the time being. For the week I was taking it my depression got worse, and worse to the point where I couldn’t even study for an exam, and during the exam I was thinking about depressing things, and even tearing up. Never thought something like Melatonin could do something like that.

Anonymous

Take melatonin with a 5HT2c antagonist. This will increase DA/NA neuron firing in the frontal cortex. Agomelatine for example…with melatonin. Sorted :D

Anonymous

I would drop the melatonin altogether and would recommend cyproheptadine. A first generation antihistamine, which may make you feel drowsy, but not depress. I have heard mixed reviews but i would steer away from serotonin and its derivatives.

Anonymous

I just wanted to throw in that I have had similar experiences with melatonin. It helps me immensely in falling/staying asleep, but I definitely notice depression after taking it a few days in a row.

Anonymous

[QUOTE=tommix;653379]You people in US have way too much of “depression”. i think depression is what called here -laziness.
      Anyways it’s your problems if you use 8 times more melatonin than you need. I’m using melatonin for antioxidant properties on brain… and i always feel GOOD, i always feel better than not using it. I also never had problems with sleeping or any other problems.
      Depression is NOT an illness it’s made up think from drug manufacturers to sell shit to all of you in any case if you for one day don’t feel nice and dandy. But well this is HOW we should feel we should not feel happy all the time, sometime we have to want to die or so on this is not an illness. I read many stuff on internet most of it comes from usa and it’s crazy that everybody in usa is depressed even if life for you is the easiest.

Also not to forget that if melatonin is high in blood then ” happyness hormone” goes down and vise versa. You can take ecstasy to help you :D[/QUOTE]
      I think I’ve never read so much bullshit in a reply.

Anonymous

I think it’s obvious the melatonin caused the depression, it would be an extreme coincidence otherwise. Your body should naturally produce melatonin, you shouldn’t need to take a drug for it. I think any drug which disrupts the natural workings of the body can cause problems, this is yet another example.

Idoruu

I dunno… I find I sleep great and wakeup feeling great with 3mg sublingual melatonin..

broken7

[QUOTE=Ex Dubio;616131]It has direct antidopaminergic effects and attenuates HPA activity.

The best way to remedy this is…to not take melatonin.[/QUOTE]

I can confirm this. I have narcolepsy and have altered dopamine activity. Pretty much any level of melatonin will greatly affect my mood the next day. It also will not improve my sleep quality or architecture. I have sleep studies to confirm this also.

Anonymous

You people in US have way too much of “depression”. i think depression is what called here -laziness.
      Anyways it’s your problems if you use 8 times more melatonin than you need. I’m using melatonin for antioxidant properties on brain… and i always feel GOOD, i always feel better than not using it. I also never had problems with sleeping or any other problems.
      Depression is NOT an illness it’s made up think from drug manufacturers to sell shit to all of you in any case if you for one day don’t feel nice and dandy. But well this is HOW we should feel we should not feel happy all the time, sometime we have to want to die or so on this is not an illness. I read many stuff on internet most of it comes from usa and it’s crazy that everybody in usa is depressed even if life for you is the easiest.

Also not to forget that if melatonin is high in blood then ” happyness hormone” goes down and vise versa. You can take ecstasy to help you :D

Anonymous

[SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Times New Roman]I have a few questions for you:[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Times New Roman]1) Have you been diagnosed with Chronic Insomnia by amedical professional, and did they consider other diagnoses or is this aself-diagnosis? [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
      [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Times New Roman]2) Have you tried Cognitive Behavioral Treatment orrelaxation techniques?
      3) Do you experience “flight of thought” or anxiety upon going to bed?[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
      [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Times New Roman]4) Have you ever been seen by an Endocrinologist?[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
      [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Times New Roman]5) Are you sleeping well while taking Melatonin? [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
      [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Times New Roman]6) Do you have any other diagnoses that may contribute tothe depression symptoms?[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Times New Roman]Here are some facts for you:[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Times New Roman]1) Depression can happen out of the blue, without anystressors.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
      [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Times New Roman]2) Melatonin is a hormone, which should only be used temporarily;as your body’s basic biology wants to maintain homeostatic measures. [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
      [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Times New Roman]3) Melatonin should not be used to treat Chronic Insomnia; itis useful in cases of Jet-Lag, nightshift work, and transient or occasional Insomnia.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
      [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Times New Roman]4) Melatonin is only a “sleep aide” not a tranquilizer,which means that sleep does not always occur; the sleep cycle must still be initiatedby the patient.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Sub7;615219]OK, now using the term “confirmed” loosely here Gentlemen, but here is the story:

A while ago I had used 2-3 mgs of Melatonin per night to treat my lifelong insomnia with great initial success. However, after about 2 weeks, I started feeling immensely depressed. I started a thread on this but that thread seems to have vanished. In fact, i was able to locate another post of mine where I am linking to that thread about melatonin, yet the link has turned dead. Check it out:

(click on the link in this post and see what happens… Mods, any way I can access that thread? I am pretty sure it wasn’t locked by Mods)

Anyways, 10 days ago I started Melatonin again to give it one more shot. This time, my goal was to use it every other day or maybe 4 nights a week max. I was under the very analytically-confirmed and ultra-intelligent impression that the depression during the prior episode was the result of not melatonin itself but excess sleep, one of the logical paths leading to this conclusion being that sleep deprivation can be a short term treatment for severe depression. Hence, I thought, the reverse may be true and sleeping too much can cause depression. Ex Dubsy slapped me on the head and said that such is not really possible but I knew the depressive thoughts came out of nowhere and had nothing else to attribute them to other than melatonin or longer/ deeper sleep hours.

Long story short, I have used melatonin for the last 10-11 days every other night and for the last 2-3 days I am depressed as hell. This is VEEEEERY unusual for me. I have not had depressive episodes in hyears and certainly never experienced depressive thoughts out of the blue like this at any point in my life.
      The thoughts and emotions that I have can be best summed up by the word pessimism. I developed such a bleak outlook and such negative future projections, which is exactly what I had experienced last time melatonin.

I have done a pubmed search with the words depression and melatonin and only get abstracts where melatonin is used to treat depression. They are having a moderate amount of success with it, but that is to be expected. If an individual who is severely depressed and hasn’t had a good night’s sleep in months if not years is sleeping well for the first time with melatonin, of course they are going to feel better (am I doing something wrong here? any ideas for ways/keywords to use in order to uncover studies where the effects of melatonin was observed on un-depressed people?)
      However, a google search does bring up some anecdotal reports of “since I began using melatonin, I am feeling depressed”. Also check this ou

University of Maryland Medical Center
      “Some studies show that melatonin supplements worsened symptoms of depression.” though which of the studies they cite at the bottom of the page -if this study is even included- says so is unclear.

Now, one more time, am I seeing ghosts where there are none or is there a possible MOA whereby melatonin can cause depression?

The reason I pursue melatonin is that it really does make a huge difference and seems to work in a different way than all other sleep meds I tried (and I tried a lot). Two critical differences:
      1- It produces a very alert state the next day. With all other medicines, some part of the psyche is still asleep the day after, even if you have tons of physical energy. With melatonin -and this doesn’t happen every time I use melatonin but happens often- the next day I am fully awake. Every dimension of the soul is there, ready for action and fully present as opposed to dormant. I know, this is somewhat of an esoteric description, but I am sure the intelligent members of this forum got the point.
      2- The effects go beyond the immediate future while melatonin is still in the blood. Melatonin seems to reset something. After I quit using it the last time, I felt different and better for a month if not longer. I was falling asleep more easily and the next day I was more fully awake. This carryover effect dissipated with time. This time too, I feel the same may (only may) happen if I can continue to use melatonin for a while as I am feeling a change that is likely deeper and more profound than I have achieved with any other sleep medicine.
      (disclaimer here: Lunesta + 100 mg pregabalin have a similar effect and they even more dramatically reduce the need for sleep, yet I have never tried that combo two noghts in a row, let alone twice over the course of one week, and do not intend to)

My question here is: could melatonin “reset” something and have lasting effects based on what we know of it?

Finally, could it be helpful to try either ramelteon or agomelatine? They bind to melatonin receptor subtypes, so maybe they could still result in similar benefits in terms of sleep but due to specific as opposed to general melatonin receptor affinity, the side effetct of melatonin can be avoided. Am I kind of right or totally off base here? Other similar drugs worth looking into?

Thanks in advance everyone….

Finally,[/QUOTE]

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are currently closed.