• High Dose Taurine

Home Forums Supplements Supplements 101 High Dose Taurine

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  liorrh 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 52 total)
    • Author

trouble

Taurine is one of least appreciated neurochemicals in the brain and is second only to glutamine in terms of global action.

Research in the mid 90s demonstrated the existence of a sodium mediated taurine active transport channel in choriod tissue (blood brain barrier locale).

Numerous publications describe special effects of taurine in different animal models, e.g. on behavior, blood pressure, serum glucose and serum cholesterol. Taurine was mostly applied in doses of 1000 mg/kg bw/day and above to induce these effects, using the oral route of administration. Intraperitoneal injection of taurine, however, seems to influence behavioral parameters at much lower doses (mg per kg loading rate).

It may also be necessary to take into consideration, that absorption of taurine taken as a supplement may be more rapid than from a food matrix. Average absorption range for tautine in the typical diet is approximately 40-400 mg per day.

You can bet that high doses of taurine can and will have deleterious effects on behavior and in particular, in lipid metabolism in liver.

Be very cautious to back your recommendation for high taurine dosing.

Note that it has been implicated in gut irriation at higher loading doses.

Kimbo

From what I can tell, taurine definitely does reduce the effects of dopamine.

liorrh

D

liorrh

d

Anonymous

I definitely found it upsetting to my stomach when I started taking five gram doses twice a day.

I’ve been taking taurine with creatine, and a smallish amount of mixed protein powder (1/3 of a scoop). Wondering if I’m even absorbing it properly if it’s being taken with protein.

liorrh

d

liorrh

d

Enigma76

[b]CNS effects[/b]

taurine transport to the brain over the BBB is regulated by TNF-alpha, an inflammtory substance, naturally .

Can you elaborate on this some?

I’ve been on TTA for awhile, and towards the 3-4 week mark I get markedly slower mentally…it takes alot more for me to wake up, and it is really hard to be cognitive some days. Caffeine usually ameliorates this feeling, but damn some days its really bad. Most attribute it to “lethargy”, but seeing as taurine is a neurotransmitor (thanks for this info btw, very useful)…

I know TTA lowers TNF-alpha, along with many of the other inflammitory cytokines. I’m wondering how lowered TNF-alpha would effect taurine transport over the BBB? Are they directly or indirectly linked?

nightop

My subjective experiences with taurine + AMP are in line with your comments Liorrh. Its ability to correct/reduce HPA problems/stress/high-NE explain why I feel great taking it pre-workout w/AMP and in the morning when I’m typically stressed from lack of quality sleep and the fact that I have to go to work.

Good stuff.

prolangtum

here’s a long thread from BrooklynJuice…not sure where he got all this info from though, studies are referenced but the source of some of the articles isnt cited….

[url=”http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=9238&highlight=taurine”]http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=…ghlight=taurine[/url]

eclypz

Taurine is hands down the best damn supplement I have ever had the priviledge of taking. I still take a few grams a day and superdose it on drinking nights…

Hypnoracetam

Taurine is hands down the best damn supplement I have ever had the priviledge of taking.

The best?

Wow.

What is it that you (personally/subjectively) like so much about Taurine?

Anonymous

taurine is a good supp. i usually take 5g just before bed.

Redsky

I gotta tell you, BJ’s suggestion of 10grams in whey before bed has been fantastic for sleep. Knocks me right out.

Spook

well, AngII phenotype is the strong, lean, mesomorph one. deduction by pattern.

Careful now. The strong AngII phenotype is the strong and lean one only during youth. Longitudinal studies show the that as age progresses they become the ones with beer bellies and heart disease.

trouble

“taurine seems to exert some endorphin mediated hypotensive effect”

You did mention earlier on in this thread that taurine has been shown to modulate angiotensin II (which causes cardiovascular constriction)

One hopes you actually comprehend what you’re reading and rerporting…and promoting here.

Certain individuals here who report pissing every hour nightly should be interested in taurine’s action on angiotensin converting enzyme regulation.

Kimbo

“taurine seems to exert some endorphin mediated hypotensive effect”

You did mention earlier on in this thread that taurine has been shown to modulate angiotensin II (which causes cardiovascular constriction)

One hopes you actually comprehend what you’re reading and rerporting…and promoting here.

Certain individuals here who report pissing every hour nightly should be interested in taurine’s action on angiotensin converting enzyme regulation.

My ears (eyes?) definitely perked up when I read this. It’s not uncommon for me to wake up to piss 3-5 times a night. That, and better sleep, might warrant me taking in some taurine pre-bed.

whizzo

I love the effects of taurine, very subtle and soothing. However, dosing more than 5 grams per day gives me HORRIBLE smelling gas, not the “sulfur type” gas that you get from taking too much NAC, but it is still a total female chaser.

whizzo

I love the effects of taurine, very subtle and soothing. However, dosing more than 5 grams per day gives me HORRIBLE smelling gas, not the “sulfur type” gas that you get from taking too much NAC, but it is still a total female chaser.

Jay Black

So, if taurine reduces the effects of dopamine and perhaps other NE activity, would it be counterproductive to use while on wellbutrin?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are currently closed.