• Over-developed front delts

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  KevinK031 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author

KevinK031

My front delts are becoming extremely over developed. Does anyone have any tips for taking away stress from the front?

D Sade

What are your primary chest exercises?

KevinK031

Were incline db press… now switching to flat db

Weighted dips

Cable Xovers

D Sade

Perhaps change one of your pressing movements to a flye-type movement (thinking more of dumbbell flyes, rather than the crossovers)?

B5150

Were incline db press… now switching to flat db

Weighted dips

Cable Xovers

Some/most gym incline benches are at a fixed ~45deg. This is too steep an angle and incorporates much front delt. Now that I use a lower angle 25-30deg I get more pec and less delt when incline pressing.

just my experience.

Eazy E

i had the same problem and dropped all overhead pressing in favor of lateral raises and bent over laterals and my shoulders are becoming much more balanced now.

Oracle5

- Depending on how “over-developed” your frontal deltoids are, I would drop both incline and flat pressing movements – (including dips) – for a few months and focus on 3 key exercises —> 1-Standing Dumbbell Bent Laterals and –> 2-Seated -Behind the neck presses – with a Smith machine occasionally if possible. Lower the bar with hands a good 4-6 inches Wider than shoulder width apart. When lowering the bar, pause a couple inches just above the top of your ears, and w/o bouncing, lift the bar/barbbell and hold it with elbows un-locked – directly above your head…..then repeat….—> 3- Also light weight behind-the-neck lat-pulldowns/palms away wide-grip pullups – or some cable work that stimulates the same area…

Generally speaking, a good rule of thumb IMO – is to not allow your best for 6-8 reps for flat bench GREATLY exceed how much you can barbbell bent-over-row for the same weight and reps…

Some ppl can do these exercises without any pain/problems or preparation – while some experience pain/injury when trying these movements…Light weight is advised!

Personally, I would not exceed 10-12 sets of direct shoulder-work/workout anymore than twice/week…

BadOldBear

– Depending on how “over-developed” your frontal deltoids are, I would drop both incline and flat pressing movements – (including dips) – for a few months and focus on 3 key exercises —> 1-Standing Dumbbell Bent Laterals and –> 2-Seated -Behind the neck presses – with a Smith machine occasionally if possible. Lower the bar with hands a good 4-6 inches Wider than shoulder width apart. When lowering the bar, pause a couple inches just above the top of your ears, and w/o bouncing, lift the bar/barbbell and hold it with elbows un-locked – directly above your head…..then repeat….—> 3- Also light weight behind-the-neck lat-pulldowns/palms away wide-grip pullups – or some cable work that stimulates the same area…

Generally speaking, a good rule of thumb IMO – is to not allow your best for 6-8 reps for flat bench GREATLY exceed how much you can barbbell bent-over-row for the same weight and reps…

Some ppl can do these exercises without any pain/problems or preparation – while some experience pain/injury when trying these movements…Light weight is advised!

Personally, I would not exceed 10-12 sets of direct shoulder-work/workout anymore than twice/week…

In the 70’s many of our routines concentrated on a lot of pressing movements with the result of very substantial front delt development which as non bodybuilders we liked. Our balancing exercises (wrestlers have to be balanced in the upper body) we did heavy single dumbell pullovers from the bridge position, slight lean upright rows and one arm bentover rows attempting to hold the weight away from the body. As these are multijoint exercises they pack on mass rapidly and protect the rotator cuff.

Twin Peak

[quote name=’KevinK031′ date=’Jul 26 2004, 07:24 PM’] Were incline db press… now switching to flat db

Weighted dips

Cable Xovers

Some/most gym incline benches are at a fixed ~45deg. This is too steep an angle and incorporates much front delt. Now that I use a lower angle 25-30deg I get more pec and less delt when incline pressing.

just my experience.

This is important. So is pulling your shoulders back when doing presses so that the emphasis is put on the chest.

Lastly, consider that your front delts are not overdeveloped; rather your side and rear delts are under developed.

Focus on lateral raises and upright rows.

Ceaze

decline bench press reduces deltoid involvement compared to flat or incline

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are currently closed.