Anabolic steroids are considered public enemy #1 by the general public and by the US government. The debate is always looming whether steroids are dangerous or cause numerous side effects like terrible aggression. One thing is for sure that man from 18 – 70 have been using steroids consistently since the 1970’s and that trend doesn’t seem to be stopping. Every day a new pharmacy or dispensary or underground lab is introduced to the public which makes getting steroids easier and more troubling than ever before.
Unlike prohormones, which are natural steroids already in the body, many steroids that are “drugs” have been chemically altered to have some effects that may not be good for you as an ordinary user.
THE BEST SUPPLEMENTS TO TAKE WITH STEROIDS
LIVER – we only have one liver even though it regenerates. Oral steroids can do damage to the liver which can lead to jaundice or even death!
- N-Acetyl Cystine – the liver is the number one concern for men and women taking oral steroids. When you think liver supplements there is nothing better to protect you than NAC. This amino acid detoxifies the liver and is so potent that it is used to stop Tylenol poisoning! For most people 600mg per day is an effective dose.
- Milk Thistle – this herbal extract has been shown to protect and detoxify the liver and has been used traditionally with people who have liver poisoning. For most people 600mg of standardized extract for Silymarin.
- HEART – the heart is pumping for 60-100 years without a break. Steroids can put extra stress on the heart and cause damage.
- Acetyl-L-Carnitine – this amino acid helps feed the heart muscle and improves energy usage. 500-1000mg per day is a good dose.
- CoQ10 – this coenzyme and anti-oxidant will help protect the mitochondria in the heart and other cells. A bodybuilder should think about 50-200mg per day of this supplement to protect the heart.
BLOOD PRESSURE/CHOLESTEROL – high blood pressure can be very dangerous. It can cause heart attacks and lead to arterial damage. There are some key supplements that may help to reduce blood pressure. Cholesterol is also a marker of arterial damage and can cause unhealthy plaquing in the arteries.
- Gamma E – this form of vitamin E is the best for protecting the heart and arteries and may also lower cholesterol and blood pressure. 200iu per day
- Fish Oil EPA – use the concentrated form or you will be taking a lot of pills. Fish oil helps with strokes and blood pressure and can reduce many ailments. 1800mg of EPA/DHA per day
PROSTATE – the prostate is stimulated to grow by androgenic compounds like DHT and Trenbolone. Enlarged prostate can cause problems with urination and even erectile dysfunction.
- Pomegranate – pomegranate juice isn’t a “supplement” but a glass per day has been shown to reduce prostate issues while helping clean the arteries. You can use a supplement form but stay away from the ones with Ellagic Acid, since that isn’t effective. Use one standardized for punicalagins. 500mg per day of standardized extract.
HAIRLOSS – losing ones hair is horrible and possibly one of the worst side effects of steroid use. It happens quickly and without warning and can really mess with a person’s self esteem.
- Nizoral Shampoo – this shampoo can help reduce shedding associated with steroid induced hair loss.
- Minoxidil – this topical treatment helps increase blood flow which may help increase hair growth.
ESTROGEN & GYNO – excess estrogen can cause mood swings and gyno symptoms. Estrogen is good for you but it’s not at very high levels, so a balance is necessary.
- 3,5-diene-7,17-dione – this is a steroidal aromatase inhibitor that can reduce estrogen for those people who have symptoms due to increased estrogen compounds. 30-50mg per day seems effective.
- Diindolylmethane – this turns estradiol (bad esterogen) into a very weak form of estrogen. This supplement is very effective for anyone taking testosterone based steroids. 100-200mg per day seems effective for most people.
WRAPPING IT UP
This isn’t an exhaustive list of supplements for people using steroids, but it’s a good start for those that want to maintain health while taking these potent drugs. Prohormones typically have a much less severe profile than anabolic steroids but can still have some of the same side effects. Understand that this is not medical advice and is not an endorsement for people trying or using anabolic steroids.
Keeping healthy is TOP PRIORITY when lifting and using any compounds so make sure you are watching your diet and gains while keeping an eye on your health.